UK Says Talks to Join EU SAFE Defence Programme Have Collapsed
Britain said on Friday that talks to join the European Union’s SAFE programme have collapsed, marking a setback for attempts to reset post‑Brexit relations aimed at strengthening European defence.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer had described a “new era” in UK‑EU relations in May after an agreement to restart defence and trade ties that allowed Britain to negotiate entry to the EU’s defence‑strengthening financing instrument worth €150 billion. However, two days before the deadline for reaching a deal, the UK announced an agreement could not be secured.
Nick Thomas‑Symonds, the British minister responsible for relations with the EU, said it was disappointing that the UK had not completed talks to join the first round of SAFE, but stressed that the UK defence industry can still participate in SAFE programmes on third‑country terms. He said the negotiations were conducted in good faith and added: “Our position has always been clear: we will sign agreements that are only in the national interest and [that] are worth the money.”
Under SAFE rules, public procurement contracts must ensure that no more than 35% of the cost of components comes from outside the EU or other participating countries (such as Ukraine).
A spokesperson for the European Commission declined to comment on the outcome of ongoing talks but said the discussions had been intensive, constructive and in good faith. The spokesperson noted that SAFE is “open by design” and that the UK could participate up to the 35% limit. “We remain fully committed to delivering our ambitious UK‑EU partnership on security and defence,” the spokesperson added.







