Hong Kong: 75 Confirmed Dead, More Than 300 Missing — Early Assessments Point to How the High‑Rise Fire Spread
All eyes are on Hong Kong after a major blaze tore through the Wang Fuk Court residential complex in Tai Po. The confirmed death toll rose to 75 late Thursday, and more than 300 people are reported missing, according to the South China Morning Post, which cites the fire service. Firefighters still had not reached the tops of the towers as rescue and recovery operations continued.
This is the deadliest fire in Hong Kong since 1948, when 176 people died in a warehouse fire, according to reporting by the South China Morning Post.
Key facts - Location: Wang Fuk Court residential complex, Tai Po, northern New Territories, Hong Kong. - Residents affected: The complex sheltered more than 4,600 people. - Casualties: 75 confirmed dead (South China Morning Post/fire service); over 300 people reported missing. - Scale: Most of the blaze has been brought under control, but rescue teams continued searching through charred tower wreckage amid heat and heavy smoke.
How the fire spread — early assessments - Investigators and images from the scene show the fire spreading rapidly along green mesh and scaffolding that covered building façades. Several of the bamboo scaffolds and mesh coverings fell to the ground, engulfed in flames. - Authorities highlighted the risk posed by traditional bamboo scaffolding and the plastic netting used during external maintenance work — materials that are inexpensive and widespread in the region but can be highly flammable. - Police say the fire may have been caused by "gross negligence" by a construction/maintenance company that used unsafe materials. Media reports say police raided the offices of the maintenance contractor and seized documents; the registered contractor identified by the government is Prestige Construction and Engineering Company Limited. Prestige had not responded to requests for comment at the time of reporting.
Police action and evidence seized - During a raid on the contractor’s offices, police seized tender documents, an employee list, 14 computers and three mobile phones, according to media reports. - Inspector Eileen Chung said authorities have "reasons to believe" those responsible at the company showed gross negligence that led to the accident and its rapid, uncontrolled spread. - Two company directors and one consulting engineer were arrested on suspicion of negligent manslaughter, police said.
Other findings reported by authorities - Besides the external mesh and plastic coverings that may not have met fire-safety standards, investigators found foam material used to seal some windows in an adjacent, unaffected building. That material had been installed by a contractor that carried out year‑round maintenance work, officials said.
Government response and relief measures - Hong Kong leader John Lee announced a government relief fund of HK$300 million (about US$38.6 million) to help residents of the affected estate. - The government said each affected housing unit would receive an emergency payment of HK$10,000, to be paid promptly. - The Development Bureau met industry representatives to discuss phasing out bamboo scaffolding in favor of metal scaffolds. The administration also ordered inspections of major renovation projects. - Up to 100 building contractors across the city were given seven days to submit documents proving they use fire‑resistant materials. - Public government events and celebrations were to be canceled or postponed in the aftermath of the tragedy.
Donations and corporate support - Chinese companies and groups announced donations to support victims. Reported contributors include automakers and technology firms such as Xiaomi, Xpeng and Geely, and charitable donations from foundations linked to figures like Jack Ma.
Context and wider implications - The disaster may reshape Hong Kong’s property and construction sectors. Developers and contractors could face significant long‑term costs as regulators intensify scrutiny of construction materials and safety standards. - Observers note parallels with the 2017 Grenfell Tower fire in the U.K., where flammable cladding prompted government action to protect tenants and change building safety rules. - The fire is also being viewed within Hong Kong’s broader political context: since large pro‑democracy protests in 2019 the city has seen major political restructuring and tighter control over civic life. Legislative elections are scheduled for December 7; officials and commentators are watching how authorities manage public reaction to the disaster.
Ongoing operations - Rescue teams continued searching upper floors and burning wreckage using lights and thermal searches, while community members donated supplies for the newly homeless residents. - Investigations are ongoing to establish the full cause of the fire, confirm casualty and missing-person figures, and determine legal accountability.
Sources: South China Morning Post (for casualty figures and historical comparison), Hong Kong police and government statements as reported in media.







